1.05.2009

My One and Only Lucy (Thought shot/Snap shot)

My dad and I were almost at the door to the tiny one floor house. What would I name the dog? I asked myself silently. I didn't know if the puppy was a boy or girl, so I had a pretty long name list. I wonder what the boxer puppy looked like.
My dad rang the doorbell and my heartbeat was so loud in my ears, I couldn't hear anything else. A middle aged man answered the door wearing a Boxer dog sweatshirt and jeans. His wife came into the living room holding a little bundle of brown, black, and blond. I soon realized, it was brindle girl boxer. At that moment, when the puppy looked up at me, I saw the deep brown eyes, her little mouth that had a hint of a smile on it and the face. The face that looked like it belonged to a dog longing to have a person she could and who could love her back. And that's when the name hit me. Like a strong wind that could bring down a house. Leaving only something to hold onto, to remember from that day, a name.
"What are you going to name her?" the lady that gave me the puppy to hold asked.
"Lucy," I answered stroking Lucy's soft and smooth little head, just between her little ears.
"Lucy?" She asked again. I guess she was hard on hearing. She did look a little older than 50.
"Yeah...Lucy sounds good."
So, that was the beginning of a bond that wasn't just a bond between a girl and a dog. It was a bond that long after we both leave, leaving the world behind, will always be waiting for us to come back, together.
It was the beginning of all sorts of things. Dog parties, thinking you're going crazy when you find yourself talking to Lucy about everything, but when I talk Lucy always listens. I know that she will always listen to me and be there for me. She's not just a dog, she's my best friend.
I shook my head and woke up from my day dream. I looked around and realized I was in my garage, with my hand on Lucy's rising and falling stomach. She was sound asleep. I bent my head down and so quietly I whispered, inches from her, "I love you."

--JustAnotherGirl
P.S. I also did this for a school writing piece, I also got a 100% :3

No comments: