1.05.2009

Hello and Goodbye

Just a few weeks ago my life was normal. Same as it always been, since I could remember. Overflowed with laughs and hugs. Colors that light up in the darkest moments. Now the colors turned to gray. The laughs turned to tears and the hugs turned to sobs. I lost one thing that kept me together. The one person who I thought I could depend on and trust more than anybody else. I lost my best friend, my best friend who betrayed me for the final time.
I knew I lost my best friend. Knew that I buried it underground never to be dug up again. Always to remember all those times we had and to remember why they had to end. This past week, all I did was break old habits. Not saving a seat at the lunch table for her or saying "hi" to her as she walked out of the classroom. Stop by her locker to ask for a pencil because I merely left mine another class. I felt strange and tired by the time the bell rang, announcing school was over. I felt destroyed, destroyed by the one person who I thought I could trust and lean on when I was about to fall. All of a sudden she left and disappeared with the light as it turned to darkness. As the sunlight became shadows, she didn't even try to catch me, she just watched me fall. Fall into the darkness without a hand to hold or a shoulder to cry on. She just walked away and laughed. Never looking to see if I was alright. It was like it was building up and just needed one little push to burst and she pushed me over the edge. Soon, the sadness that snuck into millions of heartbroken cracks in my heart soon got swept away by the anger burning like wildfire.
I felt like I was in a nightmare, a dream I couldn't wake up from. Memories that were playing over and over again, like a movie that would never stop. Flashing in and out, just like blinking lights, that will soon go away. Blinking lights that will soon burn out and be replaced. A friendship that will only be old photographs and a dim memory that will soon be packed away in a closet. Just like candles on a birthday cake, just before a smiling kid with closed eyes is about to make a wish, not even a second later, the candle flame is gone. The memories of us, were all over. Like the brook in the back where we had our mud fight on the humid August afternoon or the pillars where we used to sit for endless hours waiting for somebody, anybody, to save us from the summer heat. We were always two halves of one whole
I wanted everything that reminded me of her gone. Burned or ripped up, made to blend in with the past. I sprinted up the stars, taking two steps at a time, to my room. Everything was scattered across the walls like a timeline of my life. The silly drawings we made in second grade, the notes we passed during health class, or the Nick Jonas guitar pick from the concert we went too. I realized I couldn't take all of this down and erase it from my life. When it's what made me, what I am today. What made me choose which path to take and which choices to make. This will always and forever be a big part of my life.
All of the memories swirl through my head. But one memory sticks out the best. One of the last nights of the summer, with the cool August breeze. The August breeze ruffled the leaves on the trees ever so slightly and sent little chills up and down my spine. All was silent except for the sound of my bare feet hitting the hard cold ground as I jumped over the fence. Hazen, my horse, looked up from the hay pile he was sharing with our other horses and the moonshine reflected into his eyes. Making it seem like a dark blue river that you could dive into and just keep on going. I softly pulled the bridle onto Hazen's soft black and white face, Taylor legged me up and that was when everything changed.
It doesn't matter if we are 14 or 44, I will always remember the mud fight in the stream on that hot sticky July day. Or the loud screaming arena full of crazed Jonas Brothers' fans as the Jonas Brothers played their hit song "Burning Up". Or the cold ocean water at Spring Lake swimming with Jackie and Caroline. The freezing movie theater watching Dark Knight with her father, trying to ask the teenage boys in front of us what is going on. These are the moments that forever changed our lives. I will never regret saying goodbye to her, but I will never say hello to our friendship again. Everything happens for a reason and soon the reason will be uncovered. But for right now, I have to deal with the ghost of our friendship following me around and whispering in my ear. A ghost stuck in the past and is banging on the door. But I will just walk away. I never thought I had something in common with Taylor but I do. Because I walked away and never looked back to see if she was alright. Like she did when fell. I'm not going to be there anymore to save from falling and slipping into the darkness.
-JustAnotherGirl.
P.S. This was my first narrative of the school year and I got 100 on it. Personally, this was best the piece I have written. 
Thanks :3

4 comments:

CaliforniaDreamer64 said...

Emy that was AMAZING! I never knew you were such a great writer! You should seriously get that published!
-Car

Roxy said...

Wow, thanks car!
Thats mean a lot!

Unknown said...

wow that was really good! you are a beast writer!

Roxy said...

Haha thanks Raza :D