1.04.2009

Holly

Why couldn't the cold winds stop? I don't get it. This was not supposed to be happening. Not now, when the winter was only around the corner and the first snowfall had just come. Why couldn't Holly wait? Why did she have to be born today? On one of the coldest November days? Why today? Why Holly?
I opened the familiar brown barn doors and I was greeted with the warm scent of horses and hay. Despite, the horses' hooves pounding on the cold hallow ground, the dogs barking and cats meowing, it was quiet. Too quiet.
I peeked my head around the corner to steal a look at the new baby. I was greeted with the one of the most beautiful sights I have ever seen. Those big brown eyes. Long point ears. Her perfect nose and mouth. The beautiful fur a deep chocolate shade of brown and the long reindeer like legs. Every baby is cute but this baby was a sight to see. One of the cutest baby alpacas I have ever seen.
"Is it a boy or girl?" I asked weakly.
"A girl," my dad replied not looking up from the baby.
My dad was rubbing the baby's neck, back and legs to get the blood going in her body. I sat there, not knowing what to do. I felt like I had no voice. Everything was so confusing. My mind was fuzzy as I looked on at the baby and our mother alpaca, Contessa. I felt useless. I didn't know what to do. So, I watched silently as my dad tried to help the newborn baby.
"Em, time to go to school," my mom said from the entrance of the barn. I heard the hum of her car outside the barn. But soon the hum of the car was lost in the voices, wind, and everything else.
I groaned and answered, "Coming!" getting up from my spot in the stall, silently saying goodbye to the baby maybe for the first time or last time.
I tore my eyes away from the baby and got up from the place I was sitting in the stall. As I was about to turn the corner to the entrance, I stole one more glance and silently pleaded that this baby survives. 
The day went by slowly. Like I was stuck in slow motion mode. Every class seemed 30 minutes longer. Everybody seemed to say 20 more words than they needed to say. And the cars seemed to drive 40 miles slower than usual.
As I sat there that night, looking at the baby and Contessa sitting down in the stall. I wondered what her would be. It had to be something that you can't get out of your head like a catchy song. A beautiful picture you can't stop looking at. A book you can't put down. Some beautiful yet unique.  Something that would make you stop in your tracks and stare. That would make your jaw drop all the way to the ground. Hope, love and life all wrapped in one.
A name came to mind and ever so silently I whispered, "Holly." She looked up at me with big brown eyes as if seeing me for the first time.
Holly. Holly was her name. With her beautiful chocolate brown coat. Her unforgettable deep brown eyes. And the way she seemed to think everyday was a new adventure. The playful glint that crossed her eyes when she was met with the cold winds on the freezing November day. Her little legs and the way she tries to jump but fails. Then brushes herself off and tries again and hopes to make it. It seems the name Holly was made for her. Because I don't care how many people or animals named Holly, she will always be my Holly.
Now, I can answer all of my questions I had on that cold November morning. Now, I know why Holly was born on that day. It's because she showed us something nobody could have showed us. She showed you have to hold on even when you're about to let go. Brush yourself off, and get back up when you fall down. Holly really is hope, love, and life. She's my hope, life, and love. She's Holly. Our Holly.

--JustAnotherGirl
P.S. This was one of my personal narratives for school and I got a 100% on it. Hope you enjoyed :)

No comments: